A big step
My Dearest Suri,
How can I put into words the way I felt yesterday when Ms Kim (from your school) called me to share the great news with me! I think I wanted to cry (but I didn't ha! because I was at work).
On Wednesday, March 6, we went to our weekly appointment with Samantha and while you were using the bathroom I told her that you did not speak in Ecuador at all. I was so sad because I saw how your anxiety reached the highest peak and she assured me that she expected that because that was a new environment for you, new people, new places, and I said ok, it makes sense, I will be patient.
At the end of the session you came with her and she told me you told her about your beautiful time in Ecuador and all the places we went, you also told her about your unicorn birthday party and that you had fun! I was so glad you told her all of that. I saw in your face that you felt comfortable and that gave me hope. Samantha told me that you have an assignment for next week and gave me a letter that you wrote for Ms. Kim. You were supposed to give this letter to Ms. Kim and whispered something in her ears: your name and your favorite color... I was like ok, I think she can do that, Samantha asked me for Ms. Kim's contact information and I gave it to her, I also sent her an email explaining this exercise.
The next morning you were scared! your face was blank and you wanted to cry and asked me to let you stay home. I asked you if it was for Ms. Kim and you said you were scared, I gave you a hug and told you that everything will be ok and that you don't have to do it if you don't feel comfortable and that I will be happy if you do it but if you don't do it it will be ok. I reminded you how brave you are and how proud I was when you open your mouth for the strep test in the doctor office even though you were scare you did it!! you smiled and say ok you would go to school.
I prayed that morning that everything goes smoothly and in the middle of the day I received a call from Ms. Kim telling me that you did not whisper anything to her, you talked and used your loud voice!!!!! My baby girl did it again! Ms. Kim said that she pulled you out from the classroom and walked you to her office and she was telling you that she was Derek's teacher when he was in second grade (like you) and she showed you a picture of Derek and told you some stories. And then she asked you how derek is doing and you answered. She even said that Ms. Hey (the principal) entered the room and she said hi to you and you said hi to her.
Baby girl, Im so so proud of you. This is a BIG step and I am very sure that you will be fully verbal only if you are brave enough to beat the scary monster's butt all the time just the way you did it when you talked to Ms. Kim. You can do this, you stronger than the scary monster...
And God's got this.
Love you,
- Mom
How can I put into words the way I felt yesterday when Ms Kim (from your school) called me to share the great news with me! I think I wanted to cry (but I didn't ha! because I was at work).
On Wednesday, March 6, we went to our weekly appointment with Samantha and while you were using the bathroom I told her that you did not speak in Ecuador at all. I was so sad because I saw how your anxiety reached the highest peak and she assured me that she expected that because that was a new environment for you, new people, new places, and I said ok, it makes sense, I will be patient.
At the end of the session you came with her and she told me you told her about your beautiful time in Ecuador and all the places we went, you also told her about your unicorn birthday party and that you had fun! I was so glad you told her all of that. I saw in your face that you felt comfortable and that gave me hope. Samantha told me that you have an assignment for next week and gave me a letter that you wrote for Ms. Kim. You were supposed to give this letter to Ms. Kim and whispered something in her ears: your name and your favorite color... I was like ok, I think she can do that, Samantha asked me for Ms. Kim's contact information and I gave it to her, I also sent her an email explaining this exercise.
The next morning you were scared! your face was blank and you wanted to cry and asked me to let you stay home. I asked you if it was for Ms. Kim and you said you were scared, I gave you a hug and told you that everything will be ok and that you don't have to do it if you don't feel comfortable and that I will be happy if you do it but if you don't do it it will be ok. I reminded you how brave you are and how proud I was when you open your mouth for the strep test in the doctor office even though you were scare you did it!! you smiled and say ok you would go to school.
I prayed that morning that everything goes smoothly and in the middle of the day I received a call from Ms. Kim telling me that you did not whisper anything to her, you talked and used your loud voice!!!!! My baby girl did it again! Ms. Kim said that she pulled you out from the classroom and walked you to her office and she was telling you that she was Derek's teacher when he was in second grade (like you) and she showed you a picture of Derek and told you some stories. And then she asked you how derek is doing and you answered. She even said that Ms. Hey (the principal) entered the room and she said hi to you and you said hi to her.
Baby girl, Im so so proud of you. This is a BIG step and I am very sure that you will be fully verbal only if you are brave enough to beat the scary monster's butt all the time just the way you did it when you talked to Ms. Kim. You can do this, you stronger than the scary monster...
And God's got this.
Love you,
- Mom


Comments
Post a Comment